Sunday, September 17, 2006

Hello, again, hello!


Sorry--I have no excuses for my bad blogging behavior this week. I guess I was in a pumpkin daze (and yes, I hit the Starbucks hard this week and yes, I know if I put that money towards retirement I would be far better off in the long run).

This week was a bit crazy. My poor Pilot got hit by a student driver. He doesn't quite have control over parking his Lincoln Town Car yet (and, having driven a '64 Oldsmobile back in high school, I am sympathetic to his plight) and my Pilot suffered. Luckily, his father is a doctor and didn't even bat an eye--wrote the check for $1,000 worth of damage and kicked in the rental car fee, too. I was so sad when I first walked out because I thought my car had been keyed. I've worked in those kinds of schools before and lived in fear of it happening. I thought they all hated me and plotted against me. Instead it was a case of late to school and Grandma's hand me down mobile. Whew. I'm currently driving a Nissan Maxima and it freaks me out. The thing doesn't have a key to start it. Technology is getting so technical.

The Maxima has its radio preprogrammed for country stations. I haven't listened to the radio in awhile (books on tape, baby, just finished "The Starter Wife"). I heard a song by Rascal Flatts that made me sad--they redid "Life is a Highway". Is every band a cover band these days? Doesn't anyone do new and original songs? And really, "Life is a Highway"?!? I mean, its not like this generation is missing something if they never heard that song. Sheesh. Same with movies. They're remaking "Adventures in Babysitting". Really? Doesn't it stand alone? If they dare touch any John Hughes films you will see a protest like you've never seen before. That woman in Crawford, Texas protest of Bush and the war will be nothing like mine if they try to remake "Pretty in Pink". OK. Done with rant.....

Poor Miss F had another weird bug bite. Swelling occured and the bite looked to be splotchy and turning a bit black (can you say 'brown recluse') so they had us bring her in. They can't tell if it was a bite or a sting or what but it's not brown recluse. Whew. While there, she started getting a rash and her voice got hoarse. So...they diagnosed a form of strep (which her daycare had just warned us was going around) and on to antibiotics she goes. Go in with a bug bite and out with strep. She loves the pink medicine. She loves Tylenol. She gets excited and opens her mouth like a baby bird when you're getting it ready for her. Should I be concerned?! Should I start chanting 'crack is whack!' and 'Just Say No' now to get it through her head?!?!

On the weekend front--We took my poor Pilot to the body shop which was an ordeal because we thought the freeway was shut down so we went backroads but really it wasn't shut down. So...2 hours out of our lives for that adventure. We had our friends D&J and their kids Mr. W and Miss D over. I made Maple and Mustard Glazed Pork Loin, Herb and Garlic Cheese Smashed Potatoes (yes, that's a RR dish) and Balsamic and Brown Sugar Glazed Carrots (it was to be a spinach salad with maple dressing but well, you should know why I didn't use spinach this weekend--if not, don't eat the spinach!). We had a Lemon Angel Pie for dessert. Are you reading this Rachael? Are you proud of me?!? I'm cooking and having people over to share it. No more excuses. Today we went to the church picnic for brisket, potato salad, beans and the whole shebang. A good time was had by all. We're rested and ready for the week (sorta).

4 comments:

Madeline said...

Okay, I love the Rascal Flatts version, but mostly cuz it reminded me of how good the Tom Cochrane version is. And they never play the Tom Cochrane one on the radio, so I have to make due.

In their defense, Rascal Flatts did it for the Cars soundtrack.

Have you noticed we both do song lyrics for titles? Do you ever wonder if anyone else gets them? I do!

Madeline said...

And RR is using it on her show too, so you know I automatically have to love it.

Danielle said...

So do you have a garbage bowl every time you cook? I keep thinking that that is a great idea, I just always forget to do it!

Anonymous said...

Bummer about your ride. I thought I parked next to you at Kroger Sunday, but alas, it wasn't you (no elitist neighborhood sticker on theirs. HAHAHAHAHA!)

So, uh, are we allowed to say that (2 days in) Racahel's show really kind of blows?.....